Monday, November 19, 2007

Lisbon, Portugal=freakin awesome!!!!


(From the Castle of St. Jorge, Lisboa)

This weekend, I traveled to Lisbon Portugal by plane and had the time of my life!
I "went out on the street" on Thursday night and had a 6am bus to Bilbao...I was very tired, but I LOVE flying...so yeah! I checked in and everything in Spanish! I was proud of myself. The second part of my flight from Barcelona to Lisbon was on TAP Portugal Air. One of the coolest airliners ever! I was treated like a king! Upon arrival in Lisboa, I found that Portuguese can be understandable by a Spanish speak if it is said slow and clear. The accent sounds alot like Russian, but I was told that the accent is exclusive to Portugal and is different in other countries like Brazil.
I walked around the old district and the Muslim district the first day, and went to a faro show. Faro is similar to Flamenco, where there are guitar players and really exotic singing and dancing! I had some amazing fish...it was great!
The next morning was very early...and I took the local tram out to Belam where all the museums are. I went to EVERY museum that was there because they were only 1.5 euro each because I am a student! Everything from Maritime to Royal Coches, I saw! I also went to the Torre de Belam out on the water...very neat!
Later, I went to the Castle of St. Jorge that is a mix of Muslim style and other 11th century architectures. It was awesome, and had amazing views! I then went out to the Expo 92 area where there are ultra modern malls, casinos, and the Aquarium that is world class! My day started at 8am and finished around 10! I went on all the local transport, so I got a great taste of what Portugal is really all about.
I went out on the town on Saturday night with some friends that I met. It was not as crazy as Las Ramblas in Barcelona, but it was a great experience for sure. I was super tired on Sunday, so I walked around a bit more around the Barrio Alto, then flew back home and got in around 1am to Santander.
I am convinced that I need to visit again; maybe a different city...but Lisbon is a place to visit twice for sure! I want to return and go with somebody because I saw most everything alone...it was somewhat sad, but I was walking super fast and kept a tight schedule so it was hard for people to keep up.
I have two more weeks of class; I am so excited to go to Ireland, then go back home!
Hasta luego chicos. Voy a ver vosotros en Deciembre!
-Esteban


2 comments:

Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole said...

Wow, that sounds so fun! That would've been neat to go to all those museums! ... so wait... were you in Portugal all by yourself? Or were you just seeing all the museums and sights by yourself? :-(