Since I didnt have internet up in Santa Luz, I will do a long update here about my time with AMC and MTI in Nicaragua!
The roads were pretty well maintained on the way up to Santa Luz until the last half mile up to the compound that was 4x4 only. The first day we got settled in, met everybody (super friendly people!) and set up shop. Dr. Gregson and I repaired a rheostat, that controlled the air on one of the tools using a cut up rubber plunger and a leatherman.
Through the week, we saw patients of all ages, but mostly children. We performed general cleaning, and sealants on almost everybody, and did extractions and even reconstructed a smile of a 16 year old boy. He walked 8 miles there the first day with his young brother, and we asked him to come back after his cleaning to rebuild his two front teeth that had decayed due to a genetic condition that leaves his teeth without enamel. The before and after of his smile were incredible.
During the middle of the week, I was asked to go to local schools to help teach proper dental hygiene to students. I met with grade school and middle school aged students and used my friend, a bright yellow dog with large teeth and a large tooth brush and mirror to explain about brushing molars, the tongue, and gums. When we got there, the understanding was I would do the whole thing! So I learned vocab very quickly, brushed my teeth about 6 times that day, and had a blast with the kids using disclosing tablets (that show where you didnt brush.) Because of AMC, lots of these kids only have a toothbrush at school because they can brush when they get to school and when they leave. And school is generally a location for safe drinking water. This day, we also hiked to a waterfall down a creek! My waterproof shoes got wet from the inside, meaning it took the rest of the week to dry out.
It was in the upper 80s, 100% humidity, and the bugs were very large. But the folks were nice, the KIDS were SO disciplined. Rarely were there tears. They sat and had their teeth cleaned and were thankful. I was very impressed. Also with the 4wd of the truck we used to get around to the schools. Toyota Hilux trucks! The food was good, even though most of us had some sort of stomach problem, and the dry latrine was a real treat to use, as was the drip and pour method of the collected rainwater!
We had a great time meeting new friends, and playing Uno. I wish I could go back again. The people of Nica were so generous to us and really enjoy American visitors. If you ever have a chance to go, GO! We went to Granada on a tourist day, and we also saw some sights in Managua. Pretty sweet.
Shout out of all my friends and family who supported me through this adventure. Thanks for everything!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment