It is so weird to be far from home on one of my favorite holidays: Independence Day. Germany is very similar to the USA, and despite the fact that someone on the tram last night yelled at me "I love Bush" in a mocking tone, most Germans are very supportive of the USA.
Before I start ranting, work is very good. I am working on my communications project and I am getting lots of work done! Driving on the autobahn is amazing and things are super cool...Just somewhat lonely. I am going dancing with some co-workers (whom are much older than I am, but they wont find out!) and I am going to Holland and Belgium today and meeting with a friend I met in Spain (while we were at school there)
For never taking a German class, I feel that my German speaking is not bad at all!
Okay, back to ranting....
I find it upsetting when seeing how the media around the world portrays the USA and America in general. Yes, there are very stupid Americans who cannot find Canada on a map and somehow they always end up on TV. As they say, the pretty ones are never the smart ones! After talking with the friends I hung out with last night, they were under the impression that all Americans are ignorant because of what they have seen on their TV or from listening to news. I find that ignorant, placing all Americans in the "Stupid" or "Bush Lovers Club." I swear that his extremely low approval rating is never shown on the news here.
When it comes down to it, I have never denied my American heritage while abroad in Spain, Germany, France, Austria, Andorra, Portugal, the Netherlands, or Austria and I have only had a few idiots taunt me...but thats okay! Anyone with education in (most people are very well educated, especially around work) know that Americans are very proud of their country and also know that just because we have had the past 8 years of tyrannical and war-hungry presidency does not over-shadow how much good the USA has done for this world. I love my country and I am proud to tell anyone who asks about it. I love Germany too, but I will always salute to the Red, White and Blue.
God Bless America...and the whole world for that matter!
-Stephen
Friday, July 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment